Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Caleb Updates

Caleb is getting older, wiser, and chubbier each day. He is now 5 weeks old! With these five weeks of experience, I think David and I are getting the hang of this parenting thing. We are learning the language of the Lebster. Here is what I have learned about our sweet Caleb's cues:
1. Smacking lips=I'm hungry
2. Opening mouth wide while turning head=I'm hungry
3. Sticking out tongue=I'm hungry
4. Excessive grunting=I'm hungry
5. Eating David's arm=I'm hungry
6. Eating David's nose=I'm really hungry
7. Whimpering/Crying (90% of the time)=I'm hungry
8. Whimpering/Crying after eating=I have a poopy diaper and I don't like it
9. Whimpering/Crying when put in the crib=I don't want to go to bed so don't put me in here!

Needless to say, Caleb eats a lot, which would explain why I have dreams (occasionally nightmares) about nursing on a regular basis and why Caleb has become a chubby baby.

Caleb has taken up the art of grunting and has become very proficient at it. Caleb has found that all times of the day are made more enjoyable with a little grunting. Caleb grunts while eating, sleeping, and pooping. At first, David and I thought that all babies went through a grunting stage. David mentioned to his cousins (who have children) that Caleb had entered this stage and his cousins were not familiar with such a stage. So then I was paranoid, and being the new mom that I am, took Caleb to the doctor. The doctor tested Caleb for RSV and the results were negative...I guess Caleb just enjoys grunting.

Well here are some pictures of Caleb from the last few weeks:

Caleb loves his bouncer-he is usually content while he is in it whether he is awake or asleep. David and I agree that the money spent on that bouncer was probably the best $20 we spent on all of the baby supplies. However, this picture shows what Caleb looks like during the majority of the day...sleeping. Let's take a look at the next picture to see what Caleb looks like at midnight when we are finally ready for bed.

Caleb in his crib at midnight. He is wide awake! He does this every night. We feed him, change him, swaddle him, rock him, and try everything else to make him sleepy. In fact he will fall asleep, but once we put him in his crib he wakes back up. We are still working on a better sleeping schedule, as you can see.


Caleb chillin with Dad on the couch-doing boy stuff.

Our little family

This was a week and a half ago-I was excited because we dressed Caleb in something other than pajamas. I thought he looked so grown up in his overalls.

When Caleb is hungry he attacks anything near his mouth-whether it be arms, noses, or fingers. I also love his hair in this picture-it gets puffy after we wash it...so cute.

3 comments:

Chelsie Campbell said...

OHHHH THE BUDDDDDY!!! :) We were so excited to see more pictures of the Leb! He looked like he was having a lot of fun doing "boy stuff"... and what a grown up baby to be sitting up already. Must be good parenting! :) He's sure a cutie!!! Thanks for letting us hold him every time we come visit! We always enjoy it!

Rebecca Carter said...

Aleasha,

You and David look like you're having so much fun being parents! I am so happy for you. It's fun to read your blog and keep up.

Best wishes with everything - looks like life for you is beautiful.

With Love,

Rebecca (Palmer) Carter

Benji and Rypie said...

Dearest Friends, David, Aleasha, and Caleb,

I have to say that we enjoyed seeing you all this last weekend. Caleb, I was afraid Ben would never put you down. He spent the day wishing he could have kept holding you and holding you and holding you... but alas, you got hungry. We both hope that beanie brings out the Rocker in you. DavEasha, we want to thank you for letting us come and visit you. We need to see eachother more often. I love that you are updating your blog because it brings me such joy. I am also loving the pictures. I also love the nickname Leb... that's cute. Well I hope all is well. Good luck going back to school for a few months.

Talk to you later
Ry