Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Life is good today

After spending time looking through pictures that I had not seen in awhile, I thought life is good.  Then for better or worse, that country song came ringing through my head.  I am pretty sure that the artist was saying his 'life is good today' because he was partying and sitting on a beach.  Life is definitely a party over here, just a different kind--a better kind.  It starts first thing in the morning and doesn't end until the last kid is snoozing and sometimes there is even a 3 a.m. wake-up call for more partying.

While looking for a family picture to send my grandma, I paused at this one.  Out of the 100 pictures, there were only about 3 where we were all looking at the camera.  This picture is not the one that I chose for Christmas cards and I probably wouldn't frame it, but I like it because this reminds me of how things are right now.  The kids are active, moody, affectionate, playful, funny, and completely unpredictable.  Meanwhile, as parents we just keep smiling, even if it's hard to do sometimes.  

We have some really good kids that I love a lot.  A love that I didn't know I was missing until I held them in my arms.  
That is a good man sitting next to me.  He works hard to make all of us happy and to always do the right thing.  He will always be the keeper of my heart.
So life is good.

Other updates:  
David secured a job with a great company for post-graduation (less than 4 months away).
David turned 30-it still blows my mind.  Luckily that brought no sad feelings for him, on the other hand I was somewhat depressed.  I will need the next 4 years to prep for that one.
Caleb turned 4 and Olivia turned 2 last month.  I still see a 2 year old and a newborn when I look at them.
We bought are leasing a car.  It was a pretty big deal for us.  It's a white SUV.  Naturally Caleb was somewhat disappointed because we didn't get the red sports car that was in the dealership lobby.

Caleb is a superhero and can run as fast as flash.  He is sensitive, cautious, and smart.  He is a sweet older brother and trains his sister in the latest spider-man moves.  He is emotionally intelligent.  He will tell me, "Mom, I feel frustrated" and can talk about what is bothering him.  However, he started to do this pouting thing the last few weeks and that needed to go so I started a pout chart today.  He didn't pout once today so he earned 5 pennies.  Probably some of the best five pennies I have ever spent.  
He recently asked me, "Mom, you are going to be sad when I go to kindergarten?"
Me: "Yes Caleb, I will be sad when you go to kindergarten."
Him: "Why?"
Me: "Because then I won't get to be with you as much as get to now."
Him: "I got an idea.  I'll go to the other (kindergarten) school then I'll come home and do school with you and then we can play."
I am glad that he is looking out for me.



Olivia is funny.  She says things that are so laughable when they come out of a 1 or 2 year-old mouth.  She is very loving and always wants to be held and hold hands.  She is suddenly becoming more independent and feminine.  Every day she pulls out her 5 outfits that she wears on a daily basis (3 of which are princess nightgowns) and admires them while saying "this is lovely" "this is wonderful" then after getting dressed, she will say in a singsong voice while touching her chin to her shoulders with the most dazzling face she can muster, "I'm beautiful.  I'm a princess." She says it in the most serious manner, too.  Even when she has dirt all over her face, she doesn't care what anyone thinks and she believes with that whole little heart of hers that she is lovely.  And she is.  I hope she never loses that and the world never penetrates that sweet heart to make her think that she is not a beautiful princess.  




So there's a little peek into what's going on around here.  We are excited for the new year and to see what 'parties' lie ahead.

1 comment:

Ryanne said...

You updated! Yay. Your family picture is so cute. I love it. I can't believe how big your children are getting. That is so fun. You should continue to update often. It's fun to see your kids. I hope all is well. I'll have to call you one of these days.